Monday 20 December 2010

Trust you because you are a doctor? I don't think so.

With my mother having had a fall last weekend I have found myself in a couple of doctors surgeries with her over the week. Largely due to her concern that she had not had a bowel movement in six days - a legacy of codeine based pain killers.

Two quite bizarre statements from two doctors.

1. Food takes fourteen days to pass through the intestines.

The guy has obviously never eaten sweet corn. Or figs.

2. Bananas have no fibre in them. You are better off eating an apple.

Both are good but, weight for weight, a banana has more fibre than an apple.

Really makes you worry about their medical advice but then it is not uncommon to see people who are quite talented in one area being interviewed as experts in another. And being believed in the second for no reason other than they are capable in the first.

But it is still depressing in this case. I would expect doctors to know better.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, when it come to practical knowledge with some doctors you do womder if they know anything at all.
    Codeine based pain killers will do this every time; your Mum must be feeling very uncomfortable. Plenty of water to drink, prunes, fruits with fibre and/or a laxative prescribed by a doctor who knows what he/she is talking about or pharmacist should help.
    Good luck.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems, here at least, that nutrition is not part of the MD's training. But still, fourteen days for digesting?? I think not.
    I've upset more than one doctor when I've questioned the advice given. Worse is to refuse the advice/prescription. I've done that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...doctors...I always have my reservations...enough said.

    I hope your mother mends soon, Lee.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family...have a wonderful one. I hope 2011 treats you all kindly and finds your Mum fit and well again.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation cuts in six days after posting.