Sunday 19 December 2010

Sort of redundant.

.
Photo use kindly permitted by Peter Bryenton

I'm told that my position is 'going to be redundant' - not 'is redundant' but 'is going to be redundant'.

The company I work for has got it into its head that, if it consolidates its chemistry testing in New South Wales, away from most of the food market in Australia, it will grow and blossom beautifully.

I expressed a contrary view.

The next day am told that my position will become redundant.

Not yet. Eventually.

The price of not being a 'yes man'. The phenomenon of GroupThink springs to mind.

In the mean time they want me to stay on while they find and train a replacement in NSW. (The ad went on-line yesterday) And, because the staff respect me, I am expected to keep them calm and be a positive team player, selling the joys of the soon to be consolidated chemistry lab. Wouldn't want the flock to stampede on the way to the slaughterhouse, would they? The promise to me is a bonus if I stay doing a miserable job to the miserable end.

I asked the Managing Director if he knew what a Judas Goat was. The response was a broad grin and a finger drawn across his throat.

I am no Judas Goat.

I have no intention of bailing this little blue boat longer than it takes to find a reasonable lifeboat.

Anyone out there need a slightly shop-soiled chemist?

◊◊◊

Actually it might be a very good chance to slip sideways into something else.
...

13 comments:

  1. Lee, I wish you well in your endeavors to find greener pastures. I regret I don't have a new boat for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee

    Am so sorry for you and your situation. I have been through exactly the same process within the NHS here in the UK and it is not a good thing.

    My thoughts are with you and your and although it might be a low ploace you are in right now, the New Year may bring something totally different and wonderful to your table.

    All the best for the future, and definately don't be a goat

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, your eloquence is tremendous. I hope you find something soon.

    I read your post out to the Chemist with whom I live, his response.................."What a load of f**kers".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lee
    I follow my son and daughter (Knocker and HHnB) in expressing my condolences for the way you have been dished out shit just before Christmas.
    You are better off getting out of such a company and I am sure that your many talents will soon lead you to better pastures.
    As Napoleon did not say on the retreat from Moscow; "All defeats are opportunities".
    With my very best wishes for 2011 mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lee
    I am sorry to hear that you have been put in this situation, it must be very unsettling just before the end of the year.
    I know you to be a man of integrity and you have principles so I would get out of a company who treats you like this and tries to 'buy' you with a bonus.
    You deserve better and I would look at this as an opportunity to find a company who would truly appreciate your many talents.
    'A slightly shop-soiled chemist'? Never! :)
    Good luck my friend.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's lousy!
    Use them to your advantage as long as you can stomach it.
    I have no doubt you will find something better in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there's goats...
    and then there are leaders.
    A leader has a following.
    You obviously have a following.
    Take the bonus if by calming influence, you can be honest with those who follow you. THAT will give you and ever so slightest of edge monetarily, but...

    You seem to BE a leader.
    They trust you.
    Help them with being enthusiastic, which will get a person re-hired somewhere, faster.

    In fact...if the company is offering monetary incentive to you for your leadership abilities?
    And if you can have your "group" enthusiastic enough in their endeavors?...
    well.... The company may look sadly at what they are planning on leaving behind.

    I mean...
    Just a different perspective.

    Heck. I'de follow you in a heartbeat, sir.
    No questions asked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand to a certain extent, Boneman. It is human nature to up your game in such circumstances, to show what they will miss. That's fine as an individual.

    It takes on a different dynamic when you have a group below you. Down the track they are going to say: "You knew this was going to happen? Why didn't you tell us?"

    Erk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to hear what is being done to you, and the others. Yes, it might a good chance to 'slip sideways'. I did that last year and am enjoying life far from the manufacturing world.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being considered redundant can't be pleasant but I like the idea of slipping sideways into something new. Can't wait to hear what you decide to do next. Marvelous photo by B to accompany this and so apt. Row on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bugger. I'm sorry, Lee...

    ReplyDelete
  13. New year, new adventures.
    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Moderation cuts in six days after posting.