Monday 29 January 2007

One of life's little lessons.


Rabindranath Tagore wrote:

"The morning came but my servant appeared not.

The doors were all open, the water was not drawn from the well; my servant had been out all night. My morning meal was not ready; my clothes were all lying unfolded.

As the hours passed my anger grew, and I devised hard punishments for him. At the last he came, late in the morning and bowed low.

I called out angrily: "Go forth from my presence and never see my face again."

He looked at me, and remained silent, and then said in a low, husky voice:

"My little daughter died last night."

And without another word he went back to his daily task.

◊◊◊◊◊

"When a trout rising to a fly gets hooked on a line
and finds himself unable to swim about freely,
he begins with a fight which results in struggles
and splashes and sometimes escape.

Often, of course, the situation is too tough for him.

In the same way the human being struggles with his environment
and with the hooks that catch him.

Sometimes he masters his difficulties;
sometimes they are too much for him.
His struggles are all the world sees and
it naturally misunderstands them.

It is hard for a free fish to understand what is happening to a hooked one."

-- Karl Menniger

...

9 comments:

  1. I've seen the top one before once, I think in an e-mail, but it's still so true, we should stop judging people before we know their whole story and circumstances. A nice way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, sir. It makes me think about so many things in my life..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lee...I needed to read your post today.

    Now, I can smile...and begin to enjoy the day although it is half past...or half yet to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or should that be "half yet to arrive"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of life's little lessons, patience.......and understanding. Both in short supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brought back memories. I once had a superb, conscientious, middle aged secretary. One morning she rang in and asked me, "Would you mind if I don't come in today. You see my husband died suddenly last night."
    It has always stayed with me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those words are so true. Compassion and empathy. That's my game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both great quotes. The trout one especially hooks me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. unless the free fish had, at one time, also been on a hook.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation cuts in six days after posting.