Thursday 27 September 2007

Just awful!


There is a habit, and it is a habit, on rainy days, for people to say:
"Isn't it an awful day?"

This irritates me. Why should it be an awful day, just because it is raining?
Especially now, when we need rain so desperately. But that is another post.

But I am undecided as to how to best answer them.

Plan A: My normal response.
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"Ah ... my garden is loving it!"

Plan B: A bit aggressive.
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"For who?"

Plan C: Also a bit in your face:
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"OH NO! What has happened?" (Even more effective if you can drop whatever you are holding.)

Plan D: Gentler (the counsellor in me... )
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"That's interesting, why do you say that?"

Plan E: The optimist:
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"I'm sorry to hear that. Personally I'm having a great day!"

Plan F: The pessimist:
"Isn't it an awful day?"
"'What makes you think it wont get any worse?"

Plan G: The nihilist:
"Isn't it an awful day?"
Smile wryly and say nothing.

People. Funny critturs.
(Yes, I'm a people too, I admit it.)
...

14 comments:

  1. After my umbrella breaks after flipping for the 49th time, I'm dreched in rain, contents of bag soaked, slipping on wet indoor puddles, and all this just to get to work...I usually concur "yeh miserable weather".

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the rain, especially when it's windy too. we say here it's a good day for ducks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. expectations and equipment are everything, though, aren't they? When I was kayaking avidly it was absolutely irrelevant - 'it's a wet sport,' we always said shrugging, and anyway, I was dressed to get wetter.

    but when I'm doomed to a day in the office with wet shoes and damp clothes because the wind buggered all attempts to keep out the cold wet - it's a miserable day.

    I like your selection of answers, though..... the way you push at people and engage them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your neck of the woods at present I guess rainy days are absolute paradise, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would probably respond like plan A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We tend to use the positive spin. A good day for the garden, sewing reading, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never ever say rainy days are "awful". I love rainy days and nights and get disappointed when they cease!

    I know! I know! I'm weird...but that's how I like it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like to do on plan C and E.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I like you, Lee.

    perhaps you could add a religious response:

    "Amen. I am rather in awe of it myself."

    I LOVE rainy days.. I find them comforting - especially when spent eating comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the rain, I love to walk in it, to sit and watch it, to drink a cup of coffee on the porch and listen to it, it makes me feel rejuvinated. I have been told it is the ions (sp)? But regardless, I, like you, when someone says it is a rotten day because of rain, I feel compelled to defend the rain. It brings back so many happy memories for me.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation cuts in six days after posting.