Monday, 2 July 2007
Wicked but nice.
We had a log fire on Saturday night.
In this whole climate change environment we probably shouldn't have but it was lovely. Wicked things often are.
We had had our dinner and sat in front of the fire, flipping through travel brochures and planning our adventures.
2008 is going to be very busy.
And then I found myself reading some psychology articles on travel. Big mistake.
The gist of the findings were:
1. We have an overly rosy view of our holidays before we go.
2. While on holidays our view is generally positive but tempered by all the minor annoyances that we didn’t include in our rosy anticipation. Such as weather, lost things, bugs, etc.
3. Looking back on a holiday we return to having a rosy view, comparable to the pre-trip view. We edit out the boring bits; sort of like the edited highlights of a cricket match.
4. The same rosy view applies to our view of our home as our return from holidays approaches.
5. The worst holidays make the best memories.