You have to admire the irony of it: I put in 4 water tanks and
The media has made a great run on it. The drought has broken!
The state government, with an election in November, has made a great run on it and eased water restrictions. Mind you, they are being very quiet about the desalination plant they are building.
But how about a few other facts:
1. The dams are only 42% full. Better than last yet to be sure but they haven't been 100% full since 1997.
2. Best winter rains in 10 years but in the last 155 years this winter rates as only the 60th wettest.
3. And, looking at the year to date, there were 115 out of 155 years that were wetter at the end of winter.
4. Having trained people to be careful with water, what message is being sent by easing restrictions?
5. The price of water has gone up 25% a year for the last two years. Could be some hefty bills in store for people who go 'open slather' with their water.
But my tanks are full and the garden is wet. That can't be a bad thing.
Oh, and it took 11 tries to get that photo.